Thursday, December 16, 2010

Some Thoughts on Scouts and Spies






I have just gotten word from Greenleaf Press that my little book, Some Thoughts on Scouts and Spies is back in print. I wrote this in 1998 to support the Sam Brady Conferences. It is a practical look at the mechanics of scouting in hostile territory based largely on sources from the eighteenth century. I tried to use my experience running recon in Vietnam and other peace time military assignments to make the eighteenth century sources more understandable. I believe scouting is a timeless art. Moving silently, avoiding being seen, maintaining all around security and defending yourself in a tight situation miles from friendly support do not hinge on weaponry or technological improvements. Frankly, a soldier carrying sixty pounds of light weight, high tech equipment is less secure than a Stockbridge scout with next to nothing. So, this is eighty pages of lessons learned. I sincerely hope it helps someone.

The cover art is by David Wright who generously did the painting just for this book. I think he really captured essence of scouting in this painting.

It can be ordered from Amazon:   http://www.amazon.com/Some-Thoughts-Scouts-Spies-experiences/dp/1882514904/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292509030&sr=8-1



For retailers/resale or bulk sales contact Greenleaf Press at:  rob@greenleafpress.com, or by calling
(866) 725-0785.

1 comment:

  1. And please, all,

    If you have the book, and like it, give it a good rating on Amazon for us!

    Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete